Today I received an email from Apple asking for my feedback on my Apple Watch purchase. Partway through the survey, I decided to copy some of my answers and post them here so you can see some of the things I would change or some frustrations I have with the device. While I’ve written positively about Apple Watch in general and love the device, that’s not to say there aren’t some frustrations. Here are some of my answers:
Why are you dissatisfied with Apple Watch faces?
- There’s not enough watch faces that have complications. I like the beauty of some of them (like Motion), but they don’t have complications, so they have limited usefulness to me.
- Complications are not always useful. For example, when I’m done with meetings, I would prefer that the Calendar notification be blank rather than say “No Meetings.” Or, better yet, when there’s no meetings, it could switch to the Weather or something like that.
- The colors customizations are nice, but too few colors; the colors all feel too “neon” and I’d like deeper, richer colors.
- There’s not enough digital watch face options (only Modular & X-large, but X-large doesn’t allow complications). I really really really would like to see more options.
- It also seems odd that the Simple face supports 4 complications but the Utility, which is basically the same face, only supports 2 small & 1 large complication. I would like to be able to have 4 small notifications on the utility face.
- Similarly, I’d like for time to be in the center of the Modular face; I’d like that to be biggest on the screen, but there’s not a way to do that.
- There’s no way to rearrange watch faces in a different order.
Why are you dissatisfied with Apple Watch apps?
- Getting to them is difficult. I know it’s just a press of the digital crown, but doing that and then panning to find your app in the constellation is just enough friction that it’s sometimes easier to take out my phone.
- They’re very slow. I know that this will hopefully get fixed with watchOS 2.0, but they are REALLy slow in loading and getting data.
- I’d like the ability to remove some stock Apple apps (Mail, Calendar, Stocks) that I’ve replaced with 3rd party apps. That would make navigating the screen easier.
- They’re also hard to arrange and get in the place I like, since they all move when you move one—or, after you have it how you like it, any additional app you install messes up the order you had.
If you could change or add one thing, what would you change?
Better watch faces: more options, more color options, more complications on more faces, more digital faces — and an easy way to rearrange the order of the watch faces in the Force Touch menu.
There was, of course, more to the survey than just these questions–but I didn’t think of capturing my answers at the start, so you just get this!
Recommended App: Due
In this section, I recommend an app that I think belongs on anyone’s iPhone or Apple Watch. Today’s is Due, the best reminder app out there & one that has a great app for the Watch. For years I used Apple’s Reminders, but I wish I had gotten Due sooner because it is so much more powerful and customizable.